If you attended our wedding, you got to try one (or two,
or three) of Arlo's vegan cake recipes. And if you liked
them enough to try making them yourself, here are the recipes!
Chocolate cake with caramel frosting
2 c. flour
1 1/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2/3 c. Butter Flavored Crisco
1 3/4 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 1/4 c. cold water
1. Melt chocolate in microwave in 20 second bursts. Set aside
2. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in small bowl and
3. Beat Crisco on medium for 30 seconds.
4. Add sugar and vanilla and beat for 2 minutes.
5. Add eggs gradually.
6. Beat in chocolate.
7. Add dry ingredients and water alternately.
8. Pour batter into a 9x13 no-stick pan.
9. Bake at 350 until a toothpick comes out clean (30-40 minutes).
1/4 c. Crisco
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 tbsp. soy milk
1 1/4 c. sifted powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1. Melt Crisco in a saucepan.
2. Stir in brown sugar and a pinch of salt.
3. Cook for two minutes on low heat.
Add soy milk.
Stir constantly with a whisk until boiling.
Remove from stove,
gradually stir in powdered sugar.
6. Add vanilla and mix well.
Pour on cake and spread immediately -- frosting hardens quickly.
Banana cake with vanilla frosting
2 1/4 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 ripe or overripe bananas
3/4 c. soy milk
3/4 tbsp. vinegar
1/2 c. Crisco or dairy-free margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
1 can Duncan Hines French Vanilla frosting
1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder,
baking soda, and salt.
2. In a measuring cup, add vinegar, then enough soy milk to make 3/4 cup.
3. Peel and mash bananas.
4. Add bananas, soy milk mixture, Crisco, and
vanilla to flour mixture. Beat on low speed until combined.
5. Add eggs. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
6. Pour batter into a 9x13 no-stick pan.
7. Bake at 350 until a toothpick comes out clean (30-40 minutes).
8. Remove from oven and let cool.
9. Scoop frosting onto cake and spread evenly.
1 pkg. yellow cake mix
1. Line 9x13 pan with waxed paper.
2. Mix yellow cake batter, pour into ban, and bake as instructed.
3. Remove from oven and let cool.
3 3/4 tbs. flour
3/4 c. soy milk
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. Crisco
3/4 c. dairy-free margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
3/8 tsp. salt
1. Cook flour and soy milk on low heat until thick. Stir
constantly with a whisk to avoid lumps.
2. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, Crisco, margarine, vanilla,
and salt. Beat until fluffy.
4. Add milk mixture and beat well.
5. Lift the cake from the
pan by the waxed paper and set on a counter.
6. Using a thread, slice the cake into two horizontal pieces.
7. Slide another piece of waxed paper between the two slices.
8. Lift the top half of the cake by the waxed paper and set aside.
9. Pour the filling onto the bottom layer and spread evenly.
10. Lift the top of the cake and set onto the filling.
11. Pull the waxed paper from between the layers.
12. Store the completed cake in the refrigerator for two days.